Earlier this week, I freaked out - just like Kimba used to do. Good thing I've got lots of hair. What happened? I recalculated the word count on my story. Yep - through the roof. I'd just spent a few days combing sites and advice posts on word count, and it seems I've disregarded yet another rule. Even with all the chopping and and more refined slicing; the word count is holding steady at about 120,000 words - up from the 115,000 with which I started the rewrite; and well beyond the 80,000 to 110,000 recommended for romantic suspense novels. Revision is supposed to reduce word count! Except that six scenes have been added - and according to my scene notes, there are several more to come. Yes, I know it's my debut novel. Yes, I know that the larger the book, the more expensive it is to produce - and the less likely it is that I'll be able to go the route of traditional publication.
What do I DO